Aggravated Assault Criminal Defense of Albuquerque
If you face Aggravated Assault charges stemming from a domestic violence incident, you may be facing a 4th degree felony. If you are convicted of Aggravated Battery, you may stand to lose your right to see your family, maintain your job, and enjoy your freedom. When you contact the Law Office of Mark Keller, our attorneys will thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your arrest so we can build a strong defense on your behalf.
Call (505) 842-1440 or schedule your free consultation with the Mark Keller Law Office here.
Aggravated Assault Charges in Albuquerque, New Mexico Law
In New Mexico, domestic violence assault charges are usually tried as petty misdemeanors. Aggravated Assault charges, however, are charged as felonies. The crucial difference between felony and misdemeanor assault charges comes down to intent.
The less serious misdemeanor Assault is defined as:
- Any attempt to commit a battery against a household member. This includes situations like heated arguments that maybe got out of hand.
- Any unlawful act that threatens or menaces a household member, to the point that they believe they are in danger of becoming a victim of battery.
The State of New Mexico, however, defines Aggravated Assault as:
- The unlawful assault or striking of a household member with a deadly weapon. Deadly weapons include things like firearms, knives, bludgeon objects, and metal knuckles.
- The willful and intentional assault of a household member with the intent to commit a felony. For domestic violence, felonies include the intent to: kill, murder, commit mayhem, rape, rob, kidnap, falsely imprison, or burglarize.
Because Aggravated Assault is a 4th degree felony, it carries serious penalties. If convicted of an aggravated assault charge, you may:
- Serve up to 8 months in prison
- Pay up to five thousand dollars in fines to the State of New Mexico
- Be on probation for at least 8 months
If you are facing Aggravated Assault/Battery charges or a felony aggravated battery for a domestic violence incident, it is crucial to get in touch with an Albuquerque criminal defense lawyer. When you contact an experienced domestic violence attorney at the Law Office of Mark Keller, we will immediately build your case by examining things like credibility and circumstantial evidence. Our criminal defense lawyers provide the aggressive defense you need to fight your case.
Experienced Aggravated Assault Attorneys in New Mexico
The Law Office of Mark Keller has been helping wrongly accused New Mexicans fight their domestic violence charges for over 23 years. We understand that a lot is at stake and will be there to protect your bets interests throughout the entire criminal defense process. Contact one of our experienced criminal defense lawyers immediately to discuss the details of your unique case.